Meaningful Use Stage 2
Meaningful Use will change for all providers beginning on January 1st 2014. Are you ready for the changes?
Meaningful Use Changes from Stage 1 to Stage 2
Meaningful Use is designed for providers to work toward meaningful patient engagement using state-of-the-art healthcare IT and methods best suited to their practice.
Examples of Some of the New Measures for EPs in Meaningful Use Stage 2
- Secure Messaging – Patients must send secure messages to EPs
- Family Health History – document in SNOMED format and report in Personal Health Records
- Imaging Results – Upload images when resulting a radiology exam
- Send Patient Health Records in a Secure email Format
- Progress Notes – now your notes must be text searchable
Stage 2 EP Core Objectives – 17 measures and all must be met
Now patients must participate in order for the EP to meet Meaningful Use Stage 2:
- More than 5% of patients must send secure messages to their EP
- More than 5% of patients must access their health information online (via a patient portal)
Meaningful Use Stage 2 Emphasizes Electronic Exchange of Patient Records
- Stage 2 requires that a provider send a summary of care record for more than 50% of transitions of care and referrals.
- The rule also requires that a provider electronically transmit a summary of care for more than 10% of transitions of care and referrals via the Direct Project Secure email protocol
Every MediTouch EHR provider is supplied a free secure email address. If you are a current user – sign up for your customizable secure email address today!
** All data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)